January 06, 2008

The city that never sleeps

Day 27: Buenos Aires bills itself as the city that never sleeps. Of course, they are not the only city to claim that ... in which case, shouldn't they all say that they are a city that never sleeps? It's not true anyhow. They sleep during the day. It's a little after 11 am and I'm heading out on a self-guided (read: mostly aimless wandering) walking tour of the city. As I was getting up, a few people in my room were just going to bed. One was loud and very drunk, but the others -- who had returned at maybe 8 am -- didn't stir. They had invited me to go out with them, but I wasn't in the mood. I rarely am. Apparently, at 26, I'm an old woman.

Change of topic so I don't get depressed. Last night, I went out to dinner with a couple from New Zealand. I had delicious steak, an amazing salad, and good Argentine Malbec ... for $12. It's amazing how cheap food is here, even the really good food! I'm sure there are expensive restaurants, but I don't plan to investigate. Why would I? I can delight my taste buds for $12. What's ironic is that I've been traveling on a shoestring, so a $12 meal is a splurge! But, man, it was worth it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home