Last big change
I´ve recoved from the initial shock of moving in with my host family. I like them very much, even though communication is tricky. It´s an intense challenge to make the most of my limited vocabulary, and I know that living with them will help my Spanish more than anything else I do this year. (Although some people swear getting a Chilean boyfriend would help more -- who better to put up with so many awkward, bumbling conversations??)
This morning, I had my last big change: starting work as a teacher. I had two classes, one beginner and the other intermediate, starting at 8 a.m. and running through 11:30 a.m. I have three more classes tomorrow -- one in the morning and the other two late at night. My guess is that the latter two will have more adult/working students, whereas most this morning were in their late teens or early twenties.
Despite a considerable amount of trepidation on my part, the classes today went super well. I was well-prepared and flowed smoothly through my agenda. The students probably think I´m a total goofball, but acting everything out definitely helps them understand. I can tell that there will be a considerable amont of improvisation, though, because I don´t have a good sense of what they know or don´t know, how long activities will take, or even how many students will show up each day. The absense policy here is ... shall we say ... generous.
In short, I´m feeling like a million bucks. I live in Santiago with a Chilean family and am going to rock as a teacher. Add a few outside activities and some Chilean friends, and I´ll be set! Oh, and a much better command of Spanish -- although maybe that will put an end to feeling elated when I successfully negotiate a simple conversation like "where´s the bus stop?" ...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home