More ups and downs
I had a meeting today with my Chilean pituto (slang here for "inside connection") to take a tour of his work. His company is in the textile industry, which is what I was analyzing in my last job in the States. It was great to talk shop! I felt so knowledgeable and confident, in sharp contrast to how I´ve been feeling in general what with the whole new city, new profession, new family, new language thing.
Yesterday, I told my host mom about the meeting and asked if she could help me call a taxi. She launched into how a taxi ride would be super expensive and how I should just walk. I tried to explain that it´s hot as hell here and that I´d rather not show up roasting hot and sweating profusely. She and my host dad weren´t listening to me and I couldn´t really follow what they were saying, other than that they were disagreeing with me. I was so frustrated with the situation and really quite angry at them for talking to me like I know Spanish when they know I don´t.
I said, "momentito" (literally: little moment), went into my room, closed the door, and started crying really hot, angry tears. Dunno if anyone else gets those. Anyhow, when I emerged to blow my nose, they wanted to talk about why I was so upset. They assured me that they are super patient and not to feel bad that I didn´t understand. Not quite why I was upset, but whatever. Then they let me have some alone time.
When I´d ridden out the worst of the irritation and hostility, I went to find them in the kitchen and did something kind of amazing. I asked them for hugs. Either it was the look on my face or the tone of my voice, but they got that loving-parent look on their faces and each eagerly gave me a nice, long hug.
Wow, I really need more hugs.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home