September 02, 2007

What does sh*t mean?

My intermediate students are learning about job and interviewing skills in this unit, so we started out having mock interviews. As I was giving them useful vocabulary and expressions, I explained that, for young people, a resume is generally one sheet long. One student asked me to clarify what sheet means (only he pronouced it like sh*t).

After I cleared up the meaning, I tried to clear up the pronunciation. I wrote "sheet" and "sh*t" on the board and said, "These are very different words." Everyone laughed as I made them repeat the pronunciations -- sheet, sh*t, sheet, sh*t. I asked if there were any questions. A guy raised his hand and asked me, "Amanda, what does sh*t mean?"

Oh, boy.

So I proceeded to explain that it´s what comes out when you go to the bathroom, you know, like #2. By the time I was holding up my hands in the shape of a turd, the class was rolling with laughter. Someone piped up, "What about bullsh*t?", and I explained that a bull is a "man cow" and so that means a very big piece of sh*t. "Piece of sh*t, what does that mean?" asked another, "I´ve heard it movies."

Oh boy.

"That is one piece of sh*t," I said, "not two or three", all the while holding up my hands in the shape of turds. The class was howling with laughter and some students were close to tears.

"Okay," I said, "time to go. By the way, none of this will be on the quiz." They laughed again, but I could hear them practicing the expressions in hushed tones, so I added, "and if anyone asks, you didn´t learn it from me!"

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 8, 2007 at 11:21:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made me laugh out loud again--and while Emi's sleeping, too. I'm trying not to wake her up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home