January 09, 2008

Bienvenida a Uruguay

Day 30: I checked out of the hostel in Buenos Aires (chau no más) and took a ferry to Colonia, Uruguay, and a bus on to Montevideo. I have already met some really cool people, including a guy from San Francisco (what´s up, west coast!) and am looking forward to a day at the beach. It´s so damn hot here -- though not worse than Buenos Aires -- that a dip in the ocean sounds divine. The weirdest thing has been changing currency again. Here, $1 US is about 20 pesos. My grocery bill was over 100 pesos. I was so thrown off by the latest conversion that I just picked what I wanted without trying to figure out it´s dollar, Chilean peso, or Argentinian peso equivalent. After I left, I thought it would be funny if they laughed at me, saying: Wow, Pedro, somebody finally bought those $25 cookies!

P.S. It´s 5am and I´m wide awake. It´s so bloody hot here that I woke up looking like I´d taken a spinning class at the gym. One upside of the heat is that the clothes I washed yesterday in the bathroom sink and hung outside are already dry. Even the jeans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home