Plus, I'm popular!
Everyone at the institute seems to like me, even the people who don't like each other. I love it. I've never felt so at home in a new job so quickly. I'm friendly with everyone -- maybe especially the non-teachers. Sometimes, having good rapport with the people everyone else looks over can make life so much easier. Being liked by the person who does payroll? Good. Being liked by the person who schedules classes? Good. Being liked by the receptionist? Good. And, of course, the bosses and colleagues. There are some I'm not so keen on, but I don't plan to let anybody know it!
Ah, so today I went back to the embassy because work told me that I must must must have the social security card, or proof of it. After waiting around for much longer than I did yesterday (but still feeling like my U.S. passport was like a back-stage press pass), I talked to the representative. He told me there was nothing he could do, but that many people had come to him with the same problem -- their work requires a social security card and they don't have it. He recommended that I sign a sworn statement that I have a social security number, that I contribute through payroll taxes, and that I am waiting for a replacement card. I drafted said letter and had it notarized. The people at work were impressed by my dermination and resourcefulness. The academic director showed the letter around like it was her kid's straight-A report card.
Now, I need to figure out health insurance ... hope THAT doesn't require two trips to the embassy!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home