April 02, 2008

Back to Santiago

After a last-minute purchase of a new laptop (I nearly passed out as the Best Buy guy swiped my VISA card), my parents drove me to the SeaTac airport. We said our goodbyes and I think my nerves were the only thing that kept me from crying. It was a better visit than any of us expected (I'm ashamed to say I have a history of being their unpleasant houseguest) and it was hard to say goodbye. I was looking for a sign that everything would be okay. When I checked in, the line was exceptionally short and the woman working the counter let my bigger bag through without a fee even though it was a few pounds overweight. Aha, I thought, everything is going to be okay!

The security line was exceptionally long, but the people watching was excellent. Just when I thought I'd seen the most interesting people one could see at the airport, a family with long flowy skirts (only the women! LOL) and guitars got in line. It was like the VonTrapps meet the Partridges. Hilarious. But the wait started to grate on my frazzled nerves and then when I went through the security check, the TSA guy confiscated my unopened jar of peanut butter! He said it fell under that stupid gels and liquids rule. My dad had given it to me right before I left the house. I dejectedly gathered my things and started to cry as I walked to the gate. I was mad at myself for not putting it in my checked bag, mad at the guy for taking it, and sad to lose the peanut butter because it was a special treat and a symbol of love from my dad. Oh no, I thought, everything IS NOT going to be okay. Amazingly, I'm crying again now as I write this!

As much as I wanted to come back and as excited as I am to be here, it's not easy. It's hard to leave behind people who love me, support me, and appreciate me so much. It's hard to live in a foreign country where things are often way more complicated than expected. It's hard to start a new job -- especially one that's so different from anything I've had. It's hard to navigate social situations and relationships in another language. And I have some whole-wheat pitas that could really use some peanut butter.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM EST , Blogger Unknown said...

mom misses your hugs and so much more

 
At Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 9:58:00 PM EST , Blogger Robbie Chan said...

I feel your pain- there's nothing like a good jar of hummus to get me all teary eyed. ;D

-Robbie

 
At Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 10:07:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad I didn't see you again before you left, but really glad you came bowling.
We'll have to get together when you are back and finished with family time.
Give it some time and you'll be loving all the new experiences. I can't wait to hear about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home