Well connected, at last!
Day 39: Finally, finally, finally!!! I have a good internet connection. Oddly enough, I'm in a small town outside of Buenos Aires known for it's estancias (estate farms) and handicraft workshops (silver, leather, ceramics, etc.). I'm staying here for a few days before heading back to Buenos Aires for my flight to Santiago. Yesterday afternoon, the bus from Buenos Aires dropped me off by the side of the road and I wandered into town. I found a hotel recommended by a guide book I'd picked up at some hostel along the way. It was pricey even after the discount I negotiated. After I checked in and dropped my stuff in the room, I went to the tourist information center. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful. Lovin' small towns!
They told me I was paying too much, and encouraged me to change hotels. There are no youth hostels in town, but there are cheaper places. They called a few for me. In the end, though, I couldn't grab my stuff and run. I mean, I'd already opened the soap and removed the "sanitizado" band from the toilet. I figured once you've peed, you couldn't fink out. I decided to enjoy the "splurge" rather than bemoan the extra money I was spending. It was a nice place -- clean, cute -- and had a great shower. (You take consistently-good water pressure and temperature for granted, don't you.)
This morning, I provided translation services for some Dutch tourists at breakfast, then headed out with my backpack.
(Not to digress too much, but I absolutely must buy a new backpack. I'm using a standard-issue Eastpack backpack that I've had since high school. It's gone textbooks and the hallowed halls of Holy Names Academy to my travel gear and countless bus stations, hostels, and even the occasional ferry ride. But, really, it's time to retire that damn thing. It's not comfortable, so even though it's not that heavy, it hurts to carry it. I'm going to REI when I'm in Seattle to get the real deal. You should see the traveling backpacks they make these days! They are engineering marvels.)
Ummm, where was I? Ah, yes, I went back to the tourist office and made a reservation for two nights at a place that charges 40 pesos instead of 90 (the discounted price). I also asked about visiting the estancias and doing some farm work. I came here hoping to herd some cattle, sheer some sheep, feed some pigs, and ride a horse into the sunset.
(On another tangent, if you were a heroic cowboy in the States and always rode off into the sunset, wouldn't you eventually hit the Pacific Ocean? And then what?)
Unfortunately, that's not anyone else's idea of fun. As such, it's not possible to see a real farm. All the estancias you can visit are for rich tourists who want a pampered day, weekend, what have you, in the country. I'm really disappointed. I didn't want to watch a cowboy show while sitting on a veranda sipping iced tea. I wanted to be a cowboy!
Instead, today, I settled for taking one of the tourist office's bicycles out for a spin. I rode around a good chunk of the town and around the nearest estancia. I figured someone might try to stop me at the latter, but I didn't see anyone. The huge parking lot, paths better marked than the city streets, and giant dining hall confirmed that a day there would not be the rustic, authentic experience I was looking for.
Ah, here's something that a Croatian girl I met in Ushuaia introduced me to:
http://www.hospitalityclub.org/
If you are interested in meeting locals when you travel or if you are interested in meeting cool travelers (like me!) coming to your area, this is a great way to connect. It's free, easy, and a fun way to broaden your horizons.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home