March 16, 2007

Melodramatic ... me?

Last night, I had that challenging class again. I´d had a big emotional release -- flood of tears over a frustrating interaction with my host parents followed by asking for hugs and receiving to big ones! -- and was feeling calmer going into my night classes. Ah, catharsis!

So, the best news: The class went WAY better! There were a few new students and that somehow changed the vibe. I also employed a trick we learned during orientation -- randomized groups. I used playing cards to break up the couple and the friend groups. It worked like a charm! And from the beginning of class, whenever I heard people speaking in Spanish, I asked, "Are you speaking in English?" After about five times of that, the students started saying that to each other. Gotta love it!!

Maybe I was a little bit to quick to judge the class, my ability to handle them, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home