September 27, 2007

Volunteer gig

One of the things that I wanted to do with my new-found free time was volunteer. Well, now it´s checked off the list! I started this morning at a childhood nutrition center. Kids from birth to age four stay there for anywhere from six months to over a year. They all have health problems either resulting from or caused by malnutrition. As I was getting a tour, a tiny girl walked over, grabbed my fingers, handed me a ball, then started walking me down the hallway. She was absolutely adorable. I picked her up and she snuggled into my shoulder until someone came to take her away because I hadn´t been properly sanitized. Whoops!

All of the volunteers there wear a uniform (kind of a smock), which made me feel more integrated. Plus, everyone was really friendly and I´m excited to go back next week for training. It feels so great to be useful for something other than English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home