Tourist for a day
I decided I was going to take my second-to-last Sunday in Mumbai and be a tourist. Living so far into the northern suburbs doesn't incline itself toward seeing the sights. So, today I finally did it. I took the long train downtown, wandered around (one marvelous thing about the U.S. = street signs) until I finally found the Gateway, got talked into a whirlwind city tour (I talked him way down, but it was still overpriced), headed across the bay to Elephanta Island, and ventured inside the swanky Taj Mahal Hotel.
All in all, it was a very typical tourist day -- I was overcharged, I got sunburnt, I lost my camera case (at least it wasn't my camera!!).
Highlights: A monkey on Elephanta Island stole my garbage as I tried to toss it into the bin, then shrieked at me for having the audacity to doubt that it ought be anywhere else but his greedy little hands. The bathroom at the Taj was gorgeous and so, so clean and the air conditioning was ice cold. I captured (on film) two beautiful butterflies at the Hanging Gardens. I got to see the world's biggest (who keeps track, I don't know) outdoor laundromat down a tiny nondescript lane between two shops. Having several guards on Elephanta Island independently ask me "Do you know where you lost it?" ... this just made me laugh. It was either that or shout "You morons! If I knew where I lost the camera case, I wouldn't be asking you if you've seen it!" And my favorite: coming home, taking a cool shower, and lathering on the aloe.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home