October 24, 2009

Tough to be new ... again

It's been about a week and a half since I arrived in Austin. I'm glad to be here and have a few good job prospects already, but it's just damn hard adjusting to a new place ... again.

Today, for example, I planned to attend an all-day salsa workshop at the Omni Austin Hotel. I got up early, packed my bag and lunch, picked out an outfit, and headed downtown. I found the hotel, parked underground, and headed to the reception desk. The guy had no idea about any salsa event. "It must be happening at the OTHER Omni Austin Hotel," he said.

Damn! Who knew there was one? Obviously I didn't do enough research.

He wrote directions that I tried to follow (after sitting in the car for a few minutes, waffling about whether or not to go and wondering if I could make it on time), but I couldn't find it, cried out of frustration, came home, and flopped back to bed. At nine-something a.m. Pathetic, huh.

I felt like a five year old who was all ready and excited for her first day of Kindergarten, only to not find the school and have to go back home. Who knew there was ANOTHER Franklin D. Roosevelt Elementary (within a few miles ... that is difficult to find)?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home