January 20, 2010

On the right track

Hi - long time, no write. A lot has happened over the past few months. It's now mid-January and I'm settling into my new job as a project manager for an Internet company here in Austin. It wasn't easy. I learned and practiced all sorts of new skills, particularly networking. I used to look down on networking as the thing under-qualified or underhanded people did to circumvent the meritocracy. No longer! Now, I'm a huge fan! I doubt I'd have gotten a single interview without networking. Instead, I got a job in a new town, in a down economy, during the holidays ... in two and half months. Not too shabby!!

I'm also settling into my sister's house. She's still abroad and I'll stay here until she gets back. I miss her and so many times have wished she was here, but having a free, comfortable place to stay while I sort things out has been so valuable.

Another big change is in my eating. I'd previously reported going gluten-free. That's been going really well and I don't even miss or crave all those gluten foods much anymore. Occasionally, yes, I lust after a croissant or cookie, but I feel so much better for refraining. I've had a harder time cutting out sugar and other sweeteners, but the few times I've re-indulged have knocked me so hard on my ass that I'm thoroughly convinced that I should get as close to 100% abstention as possible (given that damn near everything is artificially sweetened).

Recently, I've also tried to up the amount of raw veggies I consume. Today, I sliced up a raw sweet potato into sticks and ate about half of it for breakfast. A few hours later, I nibbled on some nuts, and I wasn't hungry until well past my usual lunch time. It astounds me what a mammoth difference eating raw, fibrous foods makes over eating the processed, engineered stuff we call food.

But I've sworn myself to solitary confinement when it comes to all this. I've been reading more and more about nutrition, big ag, etc., and becoming ever more curious and passionate about what I consume. But I've promised myself not to evangelize or try to convince or convert anyone. What they eat is their business. My business is being well - physically, mentally, and emotionally - and I've found that whatever I'm doing is damn near miraculous. For me.

(I'm really tempted to try to spread the 'good news' to my family because I want so desperately for them to be well, but have no reason to believe this unsolicited advice will be any better received than its predecessors.)

I'm thrilled with the new year and with the direction my career and life are headed. I maybe not be where I want to be yet, but slow and steady is not so bad - after all, direction is more important than velocity. Who cares if you're making progress at breakneck speed if it's on the wrong thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home