October 22, 2006

Wedding bells

No, no. I'm not married, engaged, or even thinking about thinking about marriage. Well, at least not mine. This weekend, I drove through the colorful (I love fall!) Pennsylvania countryside to my friend Kelly's wedding in Ohio. It was great fun. I got to hang out with a lot of old friends, make some new ones, and enjoy a much-needed change of scenery.

I know it's only been a few months since I was last away, but I've been pretty stir crazy. A long drive to a big party was just what the doctor ordered! As for what I ordered ... goats. Yes, that's right! Oxfam (www.oxfamunwrapped.com) has a great gift catalog, which includes the pair of wedding goats I bought for Kelly & Jim. It was perfect--I got to be generous and fun (Kel thought it was great!) without contributing to someone else's clutter. Goodness knows, mine doesn't need any help!

The goats go to a family in a developing country, who use them for milk and yarn. The first offspring goes to another family, and so on. It's similar to the heifer project (www.heifer.org), which also has a fun gift catalog. Both organizations work to spread hope, opportunity, and self-reliance. And that's worth celebrating. Cake, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home