February 12, 2007

I am the wild goose

Today, we went on a scavenger hunt to get to know Santiago. We had tasks to complete, including using the metro (subway system) and exploring a vegetable market. We also had to find an Asian food store in one of the neighborhoods in central Santiago. My partner and I asked several people, most of whom told us there was none nearby and one who unhelpfully pointed us down a street with no Asian food store. Getting bum directions happens a lot, it seems.

Strategic thinking skills not totally lost in my brain straining to speak Spanish, I suggested we try asking in a Chinese restaurant. We walk in and I ask them where to find the Asian food store. They smile and seem to respond, but neither of us seems to be understanding the other. My partner gives it a go with no luck. I tentitively ask "habla ingles?" and they say no. Okay, fine -- it was a long shot anyhow. We stand there with smiles crooked in mutual confusion. On a hunch, I ask "habla español?" and they say ... no. Oh boy. We thank them and leave, laughing with about how we´re not the only people in Santiago who don´t speak Spanish!

We never did find that Asian food store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home