February 13, 2007

The lowest of the low

Before leaving the States, everyone in the WorldTeach group took a Spanish placement test. After having only two weeks of Spanish class (in Ecuador, but still ...), I knew I´d be put in the beginners´class and I was. Only the professor had us take another placement test on the first day of class. (Seriously, dude, we really are beginners!) On the second day, he read out our scores before handing back the tests. Note to self: never do this to your students.

It turns out I am the lowest of the low level Spanish speakers. It shouldn´t matter and it basically doesn´t, but this A-minus-is-unsatisfactory student has a hard time swallowing academic failure. Our leaders tell us we need to accept that we will fail repeatedly during the course of this year, and that we need to be okay with it. Here´s hoping I´m capable -- otherwise, it´s going to be a painful ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home