September 27, 2007

"Instants"

I´m taking Spanish classes informally with my field director. In yesterday´s lesson, we read a poem that affirmed my decision to sell all my stuff, quit my corporate job, and move to a country where I didn´t know the language.

It was in Spanish (obviamente), but here´s my best attempt to translate it:

If I could live my life again.
The next time I would try to make more mistakes.
I would not attempt to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be sillier than I have been,
in fact, I would take many fewer things seriously.

I would be less concerned with cleanliness.
I would take more risks,
I would take more trips,
I would watch more sunsets,
I would climb more mountains,
I would swim more rivers.
I would go to more places I´ve never been,
I would eat more ice cream and fewer lima beans,
I would have more real problems
and fewer imaginary ones.

I was one of those people who lived sensibly
and productively every minute of his life;
obviously I had moments of happiness.
But if I could go back I would try
to have only good moments.

If you don´t know, that is what life is made of,
only of moments; don´t lose the now.
I was one of those who never
went anywhere without a thermometer,
a hot water bottle,
an umbrella and a parachute;
if I could go back and do it again, I would travel lighter.

If I could live over again
I would start walking barefoot at the beginning
of spring
and continue barefoot until the end of fall.
I would go around more times on the carosel,
I would watch more sunrises,
and I would play with more children,
if I had another time to live.

But you already see, I am 85 years old and I know
That I am dying.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 12:12:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only read one line in English and immediately recognized the poem.
"The next time I would try to make more mistakes".
Beautiful line.
This, by the way, is by Jorge Luis Borges.
I, by the way, am some guy from Honduras.

 
At Friday, October 12, 2007 at 2:59:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except it wasn't actually written by him! I had seen it in several places attributed to him (even outside the Internets), but deeper delving has proven me wrong. Ay caramba!

 
At Thursday, November 8, 2007 at 10:59:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoever wrote it, I want a copy in translation. mama again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home