October 21, 2007

Hello, reality

I was flying so high upon returning from my vacation. I felt better than I had in weeks. But reality smacked me in the face this weekend. I´m really feeling the loss of independence and freedom that I had in the States. My host parents are always around and the house is too small to have any real alone time. Plus, I found out the hard way that I´m not allowed to have overnight guests. I´m not angry that they prohibit it, but I´m acutely feeling what I gave up in order to live with a family. I basically chose cultural and language immersion over living as an adult, at least in the sense that I was used to. At the beginning, it was necessary. But now, the trade-off seems less worth it. I´m bored, I´m frustrated, and I´m chomping at the bit for my next vacation. It was so, so great to be out on my own for a while. We have a day off in early November, and I´m going somewhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home