October 13, 2007

In Arica

I left Santiago this afternoon for a trip up to Chile´s northern-most city, Arica. It´s in the desert but on the ocean, so it seems like the beach stretches forever. I met up with an Aussie at the hostel who´s heading inland tomorrow to visit a national park and I think I´ll join her. I´ll spend a night or two up there (the land rapidly rises to literally breathtaking heights) and see what there is to see, then finish up my trip wandering around Arica and checking out the beaches. One up north of the city is famous for surfing. I don´t plan to try it myself, just watch. I´ll let you know if I see anyone eaten by a shark.

Oh, my experience in the Santiago airport was bizarrely light on security. I walked through the security checkpoint without anyone checking my ID or boarding pass. I waltzed through the metal detector without taking off my shoes, belt, or watch. My stuff wasn´t searched even though I had toiletries (including a razor) that weren´t in a ziplock baggie. Nobody questioned the big block of a voltage converter that I lugged along to charge my camera batteries. In fact, as my bags passed through the scanner, the security personnel were deep in a personal conversation and barely looked at the screen. I´m glad they didn´t confiscate my deodorant and all, but I was kind of shocked that security was so light. I also realized that I forgot my toothbrush and toothpaste, so I had to buy that at the supermarket in Arica. Just you wait, they´ll probably nab the toothpaste on the flight back.

Now, I have to go make some food. The dueña (owner) of the hostel has been baking and the smell is making my mouth water. Here´s hoping the avacado, ham, cheese, and bread I bought at the supermarket will quell my urge to steal some of whatever she´s got in the oven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home