One good push
Normally, pushing in public is considered rude and unacceptable. However, last Friday morning, I received the most helpful push of my life. I was on an extremely crowded bus (sardines would complain) and was trying to excuse my way through the horde to get out the door before it closed. It was slow going and I started to panic because I was running late and backtracking 5 blocks from the next stop would mean arriving late to my 8:30 am class. In fact, I took the bus because I wouldn't have made it walking, my usual routine. But, just as I realized I wasn't going to make it off, a fellow passenger pushed me, propelling me out the door and safely onto the sidewalk. I shouted "GRACIAS!!" and flashed her a startled but appreciative smile. It was the most helpful, courteous, and considerate push ever!
Then, today, I took the metro at rush hour (sardines outraged) but managed to make it through the journey without the need to be pushed or to push anyone else. However, when I got off to change lines, I saw some of the guards managing the throng of people trying to force its way into an already-packed car. I figured they would stop the last few people from really ram-rodding their way on and tell them to wait for the next one. I'm still guessing that's their job, but, in that moment, they provided a helping shove to the last few, smashing them in so the doors could close. Wow. I was REALLY glad not to be on that train!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home