March 03, 2009

Long time, no post

I've been back in Seattle now since the beginning of January and haven't posted anything. It's not that nothing has happened! Major changes are afoot. I've been working on a webstore for my parents' business, which should go live shortly. If you want to check out the old version before it bites the dust, go to www.mathnificent.com. Speaking of dust we started demolition today on the main floor bathroom here at the homestead.

It was built in the 20s with old-style lath and plaster (bound with horse hair, if you can believe it!), which makes a godawful mess when taken down. Today, the three of us (my brother, a contractor friend, and me) got all the walls and ceiling down ... for a grand total of 27 giant trash bags of debris plus a massive pile of kindling. Next comes the floor (tile on concrete) and the old cast iron tub. It's hard work!

This afternoon, I took a shower, fell into bed, and slept through the end of the demo. I was so tired the music, talking, and banging didn't phase me. I woke up a few hours later totally disoriented and with the distinct feeling of having inhaled entirely too much debris. Earlier in the day, I found rubble in my cleavage. That's right -- it'd fallen on my head and shoulders, run down my shirt, and settled in my sports bra. Is that hard core or what?!

Despite all the flying debris, sledge hammers, crowbars, etc., the only blood I spilled was when I got a damn papercut packing something to ship from my parents' store. Good gracious, how lame is that?! But it was a bang-up mail order day and I took a big deposit to the bank, and it helps to know that money's coming in to help pay for all this afooty change. :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home