BUENOS DIAS
I went for a really long walk this morning through the Metropolitan Park, which winds right up to the top of one of Santiago's biggest hills. On my way up, I heard a guy running up behind me -- the first person I'd encountered that morning because I started out at 6 am and everyone else was still in bed or wishing they were. Anyhow, he tripped just as he passed me and muttered something I assumed was a swear word. Then, he lunged at me and shouted BUENOS DIAS (good morning) which was, upon a split-second reflection, what he'd said in the first place. Startled, I managed to respond with a buenos días back even though my eyebrows were so high I could barely get my mouth open. The rest of the way up, I planned for when he passed me on his way down. I settled on lunging at him and shouting QUE TENGA UN BUEN DIA (have a nice day). Imagine my disappointment when I never saw him again! Maybe he took an alternate route back down to avoid the cold, unfriendly bitch he'd passed on the way up ... or, just maybe, he was too embarrassed because he realized he'd screamed at someone who didn't speak his language. jajajajajaja (hahahaha)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home