December 06, 2008

Chile day #1

Today, I went out to a friend's parents' house outside of Santiago. I wasn't sure where we were going, but he and his wife had rented a car and told me it would be about an hour's drive. Okay, a little farther than I expected ... and I thought, uh-oh, I'm in for a long day. You see, when you go to someone's house for lunch ... it's and all-day-into-the-night affair. Last year, I went to a barbecue in the early afternoon and buggered out about 4 hours later. I wondered why the Chileans looked at me like I had a second head, but later I found out that other people had stayed until 2 a.m. Hence, I learned that arriving late is cool but leaving early is definitely not. The problem is, that's not my M.O. I'm punctual, have a good time, and then burn out and want to go home. So, back to today ...

I met my friend and his wife -- Chilean and Polish, respectively -- at 11 a.m. and we drove out to where his parents (technically his mom and stepdad) are constructing their new house. It's impressive for a DIY project, but most of you from the States would be stunned by its "rusticity" as exemplified by the foundation. Rather than being solid concrete, it's made up of little cylindars of maybe 8-inches in diameter. The house is sitting on stumpy stilts. I asked the stepdad and he said it's cheaper and faster and a lot of houses are built like that. They are. In Chile. I wish I could show you all how different some things here are, but even photos don't cut it. There's such a big "feel" component.

Anyhow, I keep digressing. When we arrived, the stepdad had the grill fired up and was getting ready to load it up with sausage and chicken. The mom had made delicious punch with fresh strawberries and white wine. I drank more than necessary and noshed on a few sausages (choripan, for anyone who's been to a Chilean BBQ) and some fresh bread with pebre (a diced-veggie salsa). Some more friends arrived and everything was great. I was a little drunk and a little full, but happily chattering away in Spanish. Then, something unexpected happened: We set up tables for lunch. Ummm ... didn't we already have lunch?

Ohhh, no, we hadn't. Out came the potato salad, the beans, the green salad, more bread, more salsa, and a heaping pile of steak. Uffff. I took a modest amount of the most interesting foods and dodged offers of more food. My poor tummy. Fortunately, after everyone had after-lunch tea/coffee, we went out exploring the area, walking along the coast, etc. It was great to get some fresh sea air!

Only when we got back, the table was set for dinner! Good god. Empanadas, pan amasado, and other Chilean delights were on the menu. I felt queasy just looking at the place settings. You see, food is a big way of showing affection among families here. That's great. Unfortunately for this grazer, eating is a big way of showing appreciation for the affection. And quantity counts. By then, it was going on 7 o'clock and I was ready to go home. I was also concerned that dinner would lead to dessert, dessert to staying the night, staying the night to breakfast ... you get the idea. One of the couples had a pregnant member and they were debating heading out. I prayed they would. They told the mom and she guilt tripped them. They didn't give in. They told the stepdad and he guilt tripped them. They didn't crack. Woooo hoooo. I went with them!!!

So, my lunch outing turned into a lunch-lunch-get-home-at-9 p.m. affair. I had a great time, the food was delicious, but I was really happy to get home and lie down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home