December 06, 2007

Last day of school

It's my last day of school. I have two exams to give tonight, the grades to enter, and then I'm a free woman. I should be thrilled. Summer vacation is almost here and mine's going to be incredible. Plus, I get to walk away from all the frustrations at the institute, the snarky teachers, the snarky students, etc.

But I'm sad. This hasn't been an easy year, but it's a hard one to walk away from. I'm a damn good teacher. I care about my students, expect big things from them, and treat them like adults (which they don't always take well). We laugh together every day -- at ourselves, at each other, and at life. I know all their names, even the ones from last semester, and they call me by mine. I know about their families, their struggles, and their passions. I'm buddies with the maintenance guys and a devoted fan of the students who work at Coordinación Docente. I know the ropes. I'm still sometimes against them, but their presence no longer surprises me.

It's almost time to say goodbye and, damn it, I'm not ready.

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 10, 2007 at 12:14:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodbyes are never easy, but when one door shuts, another opens...have faith, you may be surprised with something you never even thought of doing or being at.

Enjoy your travels/vacation, have a safe trip home, and remember, we love you.
--rainy dae--- & the West Chester, PA line dancers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home