March 05, 2009

Progress continues ...

Two days ago, my brother and I hauled the debris from the bathroom to the dump. Statistics on the magnitude of this project:

Big black construction garbage bags: 27
Tonnage: 0.7 (0ver 1400 lbs)
Cost: $96 (at $130/ton)

The other reason why this project is so momentous is how long it's been in coming. We've been talking about remodeling the bathroom for many, many years. Last year when I was home, we bought the $1000, 250 lb, cast-iron bathtub ... and it's finally being delivered this coming Monday. I told the guy at the supply house that we'd ordered it "a while ago" ... turns out "a while" was long enough ago that they couldn't find record of our payment right away. But they ended up locating it and that poor tub will finally be in its new home next week.

Gross out warning. When they tore out the blown-in (read fluffy lint-ish stuff) insulation, rat turds fell out with the fuzz. Then, because they'd taken up the tile floor and the wood base had cracks, the insulation and ... oh yes ... rat turds rained down in the basement. It was absolutely, positively disgusting. You just never know what you'll find when you tear into 80-year-old walls! But all the old wiring has been replaced and the plumbing is the current project. After the demo, I'm pretty much useless, so I decided to tackle another project -- trimming the pear tree in the back yard. Turns out I'm pretty useless at that, too, but was saved from too much ego bruising by the rain. Water from the sky, not rat poo from the ceiling. My brother already cleaned that up. Yep, he's a yeoman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home