December 09, 2007

Back to Chile??

If I'm not ready to say goodbye, why should I? A good friend pointed out that I quit my job and sold my stuff so that I could be free, and that the freedom includes staying in one place longer than planned. Colombia will still be there in 6 months or a year. Why not come back to Santiago? This has been a really difficult year. I had so much to learn, mostly the hard way. Moving to another new country in March would require a lot more hard learning. In contrast, I could come back to Santiago for another semester or two and enjoy myself. I have friends here. I know how things work. I speak Chilean. So, in the past few days, I've been applying to every English teaching job in Santiago. It turns out that setting up a job ahead of time to get a visa, etc., isn't automatic. Bummer.

I'm feeling pretty relaxed, though. Either things will work out and I'll come back here next year. Or things will work out and I'll go to Colombia. Or things won't work out in time and I'll have a few more months with my family in Seattle while I set something up for the second half of the year. Pretty tame as worst case scenarios go, wouldn't you say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home