July 30, 2008

Surprises

Life is full of surprises, have you noticed?

Tonight, I came home after (literally!) running from work to pick up my new glasses before the store closed. I was digging my new look when my flatmate came in to talk. I tried to brace myself for something about the electric bill or about a rent increase or about how to handle her latest breakup. I was totally unprepared for what I heard. Her sister is returning to Chile from Europe and wants her apartment back. Noooo, what bad luck! I have to start looking for a new place for September-December. Sucky doo! Even though I wish she did the dishes, that the kitchen were bigger, and blah blah blah, I really like living here. My room is fab and the location is perfect. I'm all settled in and I don't want to move. Oh well.

A few days ago, I got an e-mail via facebook from an ex-high school friend. The friendship crashed and burned in our last semester (huge drama that I've -- thankfully, finally -- mostly forgotten). Anyhow, in the e-mail, she apologized for how badly things ended. I was totally taken off guard and a lot of old feelings came flooding back. I put off responding, not knowing what to say. I even dreampt last night that my sister told me not to let her off the hook! Ignoring my sister's very real-seeming advice, I just replied saying I appreciated her apology and hoped she would accept mine (as devestated and hurt as I was at the time -- it was a whole group of friends who abandoned me -- I have reasonable doubt that they were totally responsible). Then I cried. It's amazing the emotion I held onto without realizing it ... and how relaxed and relieved I feel to close that chapter again for now.

On Sunday, I sent my resume and a cover letter (both awesome, if I do say so myself) to an economic/market-intelligence company based in London. The job posted was for an economic analyst living in Chile (ummm, hello??? me me me!) to work on a contract basis. To my great amazement, they sent an e-mail Monday morning wanting to set up an interview. Tomorrow at lunch time, they're calling me from their U.S. office in Chicago. How cool is that!? I don't know what will come of it, but it feels great to know that I'm still marketable as a real-life professional! ;-D

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 5:34:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the apt hunting is going well. It sucks though. How did the job opportunity turn out? Well take care! besos!
~Yvonne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home